WritingThreeSixty is a bi-annual, interdisciplinary journal for research essays and creative works. First launched in 2014 as an initiative of the English department at the University of the Western Cape (UWC), WritingThreeSixty now forms part of the broader community within the Arts Faculty and Humanities at UWC.
This journal maintains the standard of peer review and wishes to provide a platform to develop a culture of publishing among postgraduate and emerging students, as well as established creative artists within UWC and South Africa at large.
WritingThreeSixty also forms part of co-curricular graduate culture at UWC that affords students the opportunity to develop professional skills through the many voluntary leadership and service positions created through the journal. These positions include the management of the journal and its team, editorial outputs, as well as our digital marketing efforts that are presented through social media and our online website.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Copyright University of the Western Cape
All journal content is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution No Derivatives license 4.0. CC BY ND 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/4.0/)
Guidance from DOAL etc note journal requirements
Click on the link to download
Then read through the rest
- Please submit a Microsoft Word file
- All text must be in 12pt Times New Roman and double-spaced.
- Use the title of your research essay, poetry, short fiction as the subject for your emailsubmission.
Content and Structure for an Academic article
- Please provide your article with an appropriate title.
- Abstract: Should not exceed 250 words
- Keywords: 4 to 8 words
Content and Structure for a creative prose and/or poetry
- Please provide your prose or poem a creative and appropriate title
- A creative prose should be no less than 1500 and no more than 3500
- A limit of 3-5 poems
- No abstract or keywords is needed
- If you wish to submit poetry, please submit 2-5 poems
If abbreviations are used in the text, they should either be defined in the text where first used, or a list of abbreviations should be provided.
Author(s) should follow the latest edition of MLA style in referencing
Please visit https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/ for any queries you have on MLA.
As part of the submission process, authors are must check the following to ensure that they comply with the journals rules.
- Please ensure that you download and fill out the submission form and send it together with your submission.
- The submission file (research essay, poetry, short fiction ) does not have author’s information (name or surname). This is to ensure the piece will remain anonymous so it can be assessed
- The submission has not been previously published and it is completely original (please see information on plagiarism).
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word format.
Please send your submissions to: email@example.com
Guidelines for writing a book review
- Please provide your book review with a creative and appropriate title
- Submit the following information about the book: Author/Editor, Name of book, Publisher, Year of publication, ISBN Number, Number of pages, Price.
- The bookreview of a novel should be no less than 1000 words and no more than 2500 words.
- If you are reviewing a major scholarly work the review should be no more than 4500 words.
- Provide 3-6 keywords
- You are not restricted in terms of the range of the novel, it can be either a contemporary or a classic work.
Book reviews should consider the following:
The intended audience of the book
Biography of the author
Main ideas and objectives of the book, and whether these are accomplished.
The context and impetus of the book
The strengths and weaknesses of the book
The names and email addresses entered in this journal will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.